A warming and cosy winter soup that’s super easy to make. Inspired by Hugh Fearnley Whittingsall’s Parsnip and Ginger soup, we have added some sweet potato and upped the spice. Make this soup even speedier to prepare by opting for pre-minced garlic and ginger.
You will need
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 large parsnips chopped into 2 cm cubes
- 1 sweet potato chopped into 2 cm cubes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed (or 2 tsp pre-minced garlic)
- Thumb size piece of ginger minced (or 2tsp of pre-minced ginger)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 500 mls hot vegetable stock
- 200 mls milk
What you do
Fry the onion in the olive oil until sweet and soft in a large saucepan, then add the garlic, ginger, and spices and stir for a minute or two. Then stir in the parsnips and potato and cover with hot vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 mins until the vegetables are soft, adding more water if needed. Finally, add the milk and using a stick blender, whizz the soup until smooth. Serve with salt and pepper to taste.