The flavour of this classic Italian dish comes from anchovies, garlic, lemon, and chilli. It sounds like anchovy overload but don’t skimp here because it’s an important part of the sauce. We make the ratio of pasta and broccoli about even so you get a good hit of dietary fibre and vitamin C. Orecchiette is a round pasta found in most supermarkets but you could use any short pasta.
You will need
- 400g orecchiette
- 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into small florets (or frozen is fine)
- 4 generous glugs of olive oil
- 20 anchovy fillets (from a jar), chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- Grated parmesan, to serve
What you do
Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add the orecchiette. When the orecchiette is 5 minutes from away from being cooked, add the broccoli. Return to a boil until orecchiette is 1 minute from al dente (broccoli should be cooked through). Drain orecchiette and broccoli, reserving a few tablespoons of cooking water.
In the same pot, heat the olive oil with anchovies and garlic for 2 minutes on low heat. Tip in orecchiette and broccoli. Add chilli flakes and lemon juice and zest. Toss to coat everything, adding cooking liquid and a little more olive oil if too dry.
Serve in warm bowls with grated parmesan.