Fennel is one of our favourite vegetables. It’s sensational roasted but equally as good raw simply tossed with olive oil, lemon juice and cracked pepper.
This salad takes it up a notch with the addition of chickpeas, orange and spinach. It’s so easy to prepare and the haloumi gives it a lovely saltiness. Grilled chicken would also work instead of haloumi.
This recipe serves 4 people.
You will need
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 250g haloumi, cut into 8 slices
- 120g baby spinach
- 1 large fennel, chopped, handful of fronds reserved
- 240g can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 oranges, chopped (reserve zest and juice from one)
- Handful chopped mint (optional)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
What you do
Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil over both sides of the haloumi slices and sprinkle with the oregano. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown and set aside.
Meanwhile, prepare the salad by combining the spinach, fennel, chickpeas and chopped orange in a large bowl. Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, orange zest and juice and lemon juice in a small bowl/jar and add to the salad. Toss to combine with the cracked pepper and serve among four bowls, assigning two pieces of haloumi to each.